CWRDM Sub Centre, Manimalakunnu started during February 1991 at Kolencherry with a view to tackle the hydrologic and other related problems of highlands and area coming under the three districts namely, Idukki, Ernakulam and Thrissur. This office was then shifted to Muvattupuzha during September 1991, due to lack of space. In April 1992 permanent land for office was acquired at Manimalakunnu, Koothattukulam near Govt. College, Manimalakunnu. During April 1995 office was shifted to Manimalakunnu in a rented building. Office started functioning in its own building at Manimalakunnu during February 1996. There were eight permanent staff, two apprentices and minimum two project staff all throughout till 2001. After 2001 staff posted under few permanent posts were transferred to Head Quarters without replacement. The present staff position is one Scientist, one Technical Officer, one Project Staff and a casual labour. This sub centre has so far completed 14 projects and brought out about 100 technical reports. About 39 research papers have been published in national/ international journals/ seminars/ workshop/ symposium etc.
To develop methods for sustainable use of water resources in humid regions of Kerala State
To provide all R&D inputs by undertaking research activities in the field of surface water hydrology especially in the humid region of Kerala.
Resources Development and Management
Applications in Hydrology
in water management
- To implement research projects
- To offer training on Water Resources and
Computer applications to WRM
- To provide guidance for PG students for
their thesis work
Training Courses Offered
Training on Techniques for estimation of water potential of river basins.
- WRMTP Training on introduction to QGIS and QSWAT
- ArcMap 10
- WMS 8.0
- Celine George and E. J. James, (2013) “Application of geographical information system for detecting land cover change and investigation on its impact on peak flow in a humid tropical river basin of southwest India”, International Journal of Earth Sciences and Engineering, December 2013, Vol.06(02): 1707-1706.
- Celine George and E. J. James, (2013), “Simulation of streamflow using soil and water assessment tool (SWAT) in Meenachil river basin of Kerala, India", Scholars Journal of Engineering and Technology, 2013, Vol.1(2): 68-77.
- Celine George (2012), “Updating Class A pan coefficients (Kp) for estimating reference evapotranspiration in humid tropical region of Kerala”, Journal of Tropical Agriculture, Vol.50(1-2) : 84-87, 2012.
- Celine George, K. V. Jayakumar and E. J. James, (2012), “Changes in streamflow regime as indicator of upstream urbanization in a humid tropical river basin”, Meteorol Appl 19 : 334-345 (2012), DOI : 10.1002/met.265.
- Celine George, Nisha P. R. and Saleena S., (2011), “Infiltration Modelling in Pooppara Soil of Idukki District in Kerala State”, Hydrology Journal, Vol.14,1&2, January – June 2011, pp 50-54.
- Celine George (2008), “Rainfall runoff correlation for Manimala river basin in Kerala”, Indian Journal of Soil Conservation Vol.36(3), December 2008, pp 129-130.
- Celine George and Aswathy V., (2007), “Rainfall Runoff Modeling Using Watershed Modeling System (WMS)”, Journal of Applied Hydrology , Vol. XX, No. 1 & 2, 2007, pp 88-94.
- Celine George, Chandran Kolappadan & E. G. Soman, (2004), “Drought Estimation Through Rainfall Analysis For Odakkali Region in Kerala State”, Journal of Applied Hydrology , Vol. XVII, No. 2 & 3, April & July 2004, pp 47-51.
- Celine George and Chandran Kolappadan (2002) “Probability Analysis for Prediction of Annual Maximum Daily Rainfall of Periyar Basin in Kerala” Indian Journal of Soil Conservation, Vol 30, December 2002.
- Aleena Charly and Celine George, (2015), “Simulation of streamflow using Soil and Water Assessment Tool (SWAT) for Kalleli watershed in Achencoil river basin, Kerala”, Proceedings of the Twenty Seventh Kerala Science Congress, January 2015, Alappuzha, Kerala. pp 75.
- Celine George (2014) “Temporal variation of reference evapotranspiration in Achencoil river basin, Kerala” Proceedings of National Conference on Changing Climatic Scenario and Sustainable Resource Management (CSSR 2014), 17-19 January 2014, NSS College of Engineering, Palakkad, Kerala, pp 76-81.
- Celine George (2014) “Water Balance computation using SWAT for a data scarce region in a monsoon-driven environment” Proceedings of the International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM-2014), February 19-21, 2014, CWRDM, Kozhikode, Kerala, India. Pp 141-149.
- Celine George and E. J. James, (2013), “Land use change implications on hydrology in the Meenachil river basin in Kerala”, ‘International Regional Science meeting on Land Cover and Land Use Change dynamics and Impacts in South Asia’ conducted at Karunya University during 10-14 January 2013, poster presentation.
- Jisha R. K., Celine George and E. J. James, (2013), “Satellite imagery vs Google earth map for use in hydrologic modelling in humid tropical river basin”, Proceedings of the Twenty Fifth Kerala Science Congress, January 2013, Thiruvananthapuram, Volume 1, pp 469-471.
- Celine George and E. J. James, (2012) “Simulation of streamflow in a humid tropical river using SWAT”, 2012 International SWAT conference, 18-20 July 2012 at IIT Delhi, Book of Abstracts,pp 24.
- Celine George and E. J. James, (2012), “Climate change implications on the annual water balance in a humid tropical river basin”, Proceedings of the International meet on Impact of climate change on water resources conducted at Karunya University during 17-18 August 2012, pp 245-259.
- Jo Paul Joseph, Celine George and E. J. James, (2012), “Temporal trends in reference evapotranspiration (ETo) in humid tropical region”, International meet on Impact of climate change on water resources conducted at Karunya University during 17-18 August 2012, Abstracts of paper, pp 41.
- Celine George (2011) Final Draft Report on "Study on Hydrology of Small Watersheds of Highland Kerala" submitted to INCOH
- Celine George, K. V. Jayakumar and E. J. James, (2011), “Trends and variability in the hydrological data of the Meenachil river basin in Kerala”, Proceedings of the third International Geography Congress on Sustainable Natural Resources conducted at CWRDM during 6-8 May 2011, pp 195-200.
- Celine George (2008), “Building a GIS Database to Support Hydrologic Modeling For Manimala River Basin in Kerala”, Abstract volume of the National Seminar on “Geoinformatics for Natural Resources Management” conducted at Chennai by the University of Madras, Department of Geography during 28-29 February 2008, pp 70.
- Celine George (2008), “Decadal Variability of Annual and Seasonal Rainfall in Kerala – A Case Study”, Proceedings of the National Conference on Hydraulics and Water Resources HYDRO 2008 conducted at Jaipur during 15-16 December 2008, pp 772-775.
- Celine George, George Abe, E. G. Soman, and Jose K. I., (2007), “Water Resources Development in Tribal Areas of Idukki District” Paper published in the Compendium of Selected Research Papers and Articles published at the State Level Seminar 2007 on “Natural Resource Management and Livelihood Support Systems” conducted by the Western Ghat Cell of the Planning and Economic Affairs Department, Government of Kerala.
- Celine George (2005), “Comparison of SRTM Derived Watershed vs Topographic Map Derived Watershed in the Highland Region of Kerala State”, Proceedings of Seventeenth Kerala Science Congress, 29-31 January 2005, KFRI, Peechi. pp 284.
- Celine George and Aswathy V., (2005), “Rainfall Runoff Modeling Using Watershed Modeling System (WMS), Souvenir & Abstracts Volume of the XXIV Annual convention of Association of Hydrologists of India and National Seminar on Hydrology with special reference to Urban Groundwater Pollution, 27-28 December 2005.
- Celine George and George Abe, (2005) “Geomorphology Computation of Highland Watershed Using Watershed Modeling System (WMS) ans SRTM DEM Data” Conference on ‘Natural Resource Management For Eco-Development and Livelihood Security in Southern India (NRMELSI -05)’ November 24-25, 2005 Udhagamandalam, TamilNadu.
- Celine George, George Abe, E. G. Soman, and Jose K. I., (2005), “Water Resources Development in Tribal Areas of Idukki District” Paper published in “Sustainable Natural Resource Development” A Compendium of Research Papers of Projects under WGDP.
- Celine George and George Abe (2004), “Delineation of Watershed from the Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) Digital Elevation Model (DEM) using Watershed Modeling system (WMS)” Proceedings of Indian Environment Congress – 2004 pp 21-22.
- Jobin Thomas, George Abe, Celine George and M Murugan (2004), “Hydrologic Appraisal of Small Upland Watersheds under Different Land Covers” Proceedings of Indian Environment Congress – 2004 pp 31.
- Celine George (2002) “An Evaluation of Monsoon-Annual Rainfall Relationship of Periyar River Basin of Kerala – A Case Study” Proceedings of XII Swadeshi Science Congress 2002, pp 335-337.
- Celine George (2001), “Humidity – A Software Approach”, Proceedings of the Thirteenth Kerala Science Congress, January 2001, Thrissur, pp 54-55.
- Celine George (2000), “Climatic conditions of Purapuzha Watershed”, Abstract Volume of 10th Swadeshi Science Congress, 7-9 November 2000, Cochin, pp.
Books and Monographs
Climatic Change Fingerprints on Water Resources and Hydrometeorology of Achencoil river basin in Kerala
Principal Investigator Budget Duration Dr. Celine George Rs. 11.00 lakhs 3 years
Principal Investigator Budget Duration Dr. Celine George Rs. 09.21 lakhs 2 years
CWRDM Plan Funded
Principal Investigator Date of Completion Dr. Celine George 31-12-2014