Dr. Surendran U
Scientist, Water Manangement (Agri.) Division
- Ph.D ; 2005 Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry during 2005 with OGPA of 9.77 / 10.00 from Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore
- M.Sc; 2000 in Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry during 2000 with OGPA of 9.36 / 10.00 from Annamalai University, Chidambaram
- 2013- till date Present Scientist , CWRDM
- 2010-2013 Scientist B, CWRDM
- 2006-2010, Scientist, R&D Centre, EID Parry (I)Ltd
- 2005-2006, ICAR LTFE Associate, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University
- Awarded Young Achiever award from SADHNA, Dr.Y.S. Parmer University of Horticultural Sciences, Himachal Pradesh
- Awarded Young scientist project by Department of Science and Technology (DST -SERC-Fast track)
- Awarded for Best doctoral dissertation in fertilizer usage from fertilizer association of India (FAI), New Delhi with a gold medal, Citation and cash prize of Rs. 20,000/-
- Awarded Gold medal for distinction in post graduation – M.Sc (Soil Science)
- Awarded Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) by Tamil Nadu Agricultural University for PhD program
- Awarded NET (National Eligibility Test) twice by Agricultural Scientist Recruitment Board, ICAR, New Delhi
- Member - International Society for Agricultural Meteorologists, Netherlands
Editor - World Journal of Agricultural Science, IDOSI Publications,
- Indian Society of Soil Science (ISSS)- New Delhi
- Research Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences- Editorial Board Member
- World Academy of Science Engineering and Technology
- Honorary Life Member – Society for Advancement of Human and Nature( SADHNA)
- Decision Support systems for soil nutrient budgeting and its impact on crop yield, Adsorption of nutrient / Modeling nutrient behaviour in soils and its chemistry
- Carbon Sequestration in soils, Climate change and its impact in agriculture
- Crop Simulation modeling – Nutrient, Irrigation interaction
- Agronomic package for agricultural crops viz., Maize, rice, sugarcane, turmeric, tapioca and vegetables etc
- Precision farming using drip fertigation technologies based on STCR
- Development of package for sugarcane under waterlogged conditions
- Crop Water Requirement and Irrigation Scheduling using CROPWAT
Principal Investigator Budget Date of Completion Dr. Surendran U Rs. 27.34 lakhs 31-07-2018
Demonstration and evaluation of drip fertigation for selected crops in Malappuram and Kozhikode districts
Evaluation of soil nutrient budgets at field, farm and regional level in humid tropics of Kerala and development of a model for management of soil health
Principal Investigator Funding Agency Budget Dr. Surendran U DST-TIFAC ; India-Austria Programme Rs. 49.43 lakhs
Soil-based plant nutrient management plan for agro ecosystems of Kerala Soil Fertility Analysis and Management – Phase II
Principal Investigator Funding Agency Budget Dr. Surendran U Dept. of Agri., GoK Rs. 17.50 lakhs
Modeling of soil nutrient assessment program : Developing a DSS for sustenance of soil fertility in humid tropics
Principal Investigator Funding Agency Budget Dr. Surendran U DST-SERB, GoI Rs. 20.2 lakhs
CWRDM Plan Funded
Pilot project on Magnetic treatment of Irrigation water - Its effects on Soil Properties, Water productivity and Crop yield
Principal Investigator Date of Completion Dr. Surendran U 31-12-2014
CWRDM Plan Funded
- Jayakumar M, Surendran U and Manickasundaram P (2015). Drip Fertigation Program on Growth, Crop Productivity, Water, and Fertilizer-Use Efficiency of Bt Cotton in Semiarid Tropical Region of India, Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 46 (3): 293-304, DOI:10.1080/00103624.2014.969403.
- Surendran U, Sushanth C M, George Mammen and Joseph E J (2015). Modelling the crop water requirement using FAO-CROPWAT and assessment of water resources for sustainable water resource management: A case study in Palakkad district of humid tropical Kerala, India. Aquatic Proceedia 4: 1211-1219.
- Marimuthu S, Surendran U and Subbian P (2014). Productivity, nutrient uptake and post-harvest soil fertility as influenced by cotton-based cropping system with integrated nutrient management practices in semi-arid tropics, Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science, Vol. 60 (1) : 87–101, Taylor & Francis Publishers.http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03650340.2013.771259
- Surendran U, Sushanth C M, George Mammen and Joseph E J (2014). Modeling the impacts of increase in temperature on irrigation water requirements in Palakkad district – a case study in humid tropical Kerala. Journal of Water and Climate Change,5(3): 471-487, DOI:10.2166/wcc.2014.108.
- Surendran U and Vani D (2013). Influence of arbuscularmycorrhizal fungi in sugarcane productivity under semiarid tropical agro ecosystem in India. International Journal of Plant Production, 7 (2): 269-278.
- Surendran U, Lintu Maria C and Joseph E J (2013). Rainfall, Runoff, Soil and Nutrient Loss Relationships Under Cassava+ Pineapple Strip Cropping in Humid Tropical Kerala, India. Journal of Root Crops, 39 (1) : 37-41.
- Surendran U, Sandeep O, George Mammen and Joseph E J (2013). A Novel technique of magnetic treatment of saline and hard water for irrigation and its impact on cow pea growth and water properties. International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Biotechnology, 6 (1) : 85-92.
- Sridevi G, Rajkannan B and Surendran U (2010). Effect of zinc enriched FYM and cowdung on yield of rice (ADT-45). Crop Research 40 (1, 2 & 3) : 25-28.
- Surendran U and Murugappan V (2010). Pragmatic approaches to manage soil fertility in sustainable agriculture. Journal of Agronomy 9 : 57-69.
- Surendran, U, Sivakumar K, Gopalakrishnan M and Murugappan V (2010). Modeling Based Fertilizer Prescription Using NUTMON-Toolbox and DSSAT for Soils of Semi Arid Tropics in India. Libyan Agriculture Research Centre Journal International 1(2): 221-230.
- Sivakumar K, Devarajan L, Dhanasekaran K, Venkatakrishnan D and Surendran U (2007). Effect of humic acid on the yield and nutrient uptake of rice. Oryza Vol. 44 (3) : 277-279.
- Surendran U and Murugappan V (2007). Nutrient budgeting in tropical agro ecosystem -modelling district scale soil nutrient balance in western zone of tamil nadu using NUTMON –Toolbox-coimbatore district. International Journal of Soil Science, 2 (3): 159-170.
- Surendran U (2005). Split application of Muriate of Potash and Sulphate of Potash on growth, yield attributes, uptake and availability of nutrients in lowland rice cv. PY-5. Journal of Agricultural Sciences Vol 1 (2): 42-48.
- Surendran U, Arivazhagan K, Suresh V and Marimuthu S (2005). Effect of split application of muriate of potash and Sulphate of potash on yield and nutrient availability of rice cv. PY 5. Research on Crops Vol 6 (3) : 46-49.
- Lintu Maria C, Surendran U, and Joseph E J (2015). Modeling based nutrient recommendation using NUTMON – toolbox for sustenance of soil fertility in humid tropical Kerala. In: Proc. of 27th Kerala Science Congress. Alappuzha.
- Surendran U, Shijil C, Bujair V and Joseph E J (2015). Carbon Sequestration of Different Organic Amendments in Humid Tropical Soils of Kerala In: Proc. of National Seminar on Soil Resilience – 2015. Tamil Nadu Agricultural University.
- Ashitha M K, Rajeesh U, Pragath M, Girish Gopinath, Surendran U and UnnikrishnanWarrier C (2014). Physico-Chemical and Textural Characteristics of Kodai Lake Sediments, Proceedings of International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM-2014) , February 19-21,2014,Vol.2, pp 557-562, ISBN:978-81-8424-906-4.
- Rajeesh U, Pragath M, Girish Gopinath, Surendran U and UnnikrishnanWarrier C (2014). Elucidation of Physico-Chemical Parameters and Nutrient Load of Sediments in Pookot Lake, Wayanad, Proceedings of International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM-2014) , February 19-21,2014, Vol.1, pp 731-737, ISBN:978-81-8424-906-4.
- Surendran U, Lintu Maria C, Sundararajan V and Joseph E J (2014). Modeling based fertilizer prescription using NUTMON –Toolbox and DSSIFER for soils of Humid Tropical Kerala, India. In: Proc. of International Symposium on New Dimensions in Agro meteorology of Sustainable Agriculture. Pant Nagar, p 141.
- Surendran U, Lintu Maria C, Sundararajan V and Joseph E J (2014). Soil properties changes as influenced by erosion in humid tropical Kerala, India. In Proc. of International Conference on Environmental Earth Sciences : Accomplishments, Plans and Challenges, 101-102. University of Madras, Chennai.
- Surendran U, Sushanth C M, George Mammen, and Joseph E J (2014). “Crop Water Requirement Using FAO-CROPWAT Model and Assessment of Water Resources for Sustainable Water Resource Management in Kozhikode District of Humid Tropical Kerala, India, Proceedings of International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM-2014) , February 19-21,2014,Vol.2, pp 894-902, ISBN:978-81-8424-906-4.
- Lintu Maria C, Surendran U, and Joseph E J (2013). Influence of different levels of nutrients on soil erosion, nutrient loss and yield of tapioca in humid tropical Kerala” In : Proc of 23rd Swadeshi Science Congress held at Kottayam.
- Surendran U and Joseph E J (2013). Estimation of effective rainfall by different methods for coconut in humid tropical Kerala. In Proc. of International Conference on Impact of Climate Change on Food, Energy and Environment, 137-140, Elsevier Publishers, Satyabama University, Chennai.
- Surendran U, Lintu Maria C and Joseph E J (2013). Rainfall–runoff- soil and nutrient loss relationships for Cassava and Cassava pineapple strip cropping in humid tropical Kerala, India. In Proc. of International Conference on Tropical Roots and Tubers for Sustainable Livelihood under Changing Agro Climate, 111-112. CTCRI, Thiruvananthapuram.
- Sandeep O, Surendran U, Geroge Mammen and Joseph E J (2012). ‘Impact of magnetic treatment of irrigation water on cowpea cv. Kanakamani’. Proceedings 24th Kerala Science Congress, January 2012, RRRI, Kottayam, Kerala: 40-42.
- Surendran U, Sandeep O and Joseph E J (2012). Nutrient budgeting in brinjal for soils of humid tropics in Kerala, In Proc. of International Conference on sustainable Agriculture for Food and Livelihood security, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana during Nov. 27-29, 2012.
- Surendran U, Sushanth C M, George Mammen, and Joseph E J (2012). Modeling the impacts of probable climate change on water resource availability in Palakkad district – A case study in humid tropical Kerala. In: International meet on Climate Change on Water resources, Karunya University, Coimbatore.
· Standardization of sugarcane cultivation Package for wet land area i.e flooded conditions
· Evaluation of different methods for reclamation of problem soil for sugarcane cultivation
· Identification of suitable micronutrient mixture for sugarcane
· Development of fertilizer package for Parry India clones PI 95-0151, PI 96-1946 & PI 96-0843
· Evaluation of Rhizagold-VAM on assessing the nutrient solubilizing ability in soil and its effect on sugarcane
· Evaluation of suitable weedicide for creeper control in sugarcane
· Soil health improvement for sugarcane
· Macro, secondary and micro nutrient requirement for sugarcane
· Micro irrigations- Drip, sprinkler and low cost irrigation techniques
· Package development for new sugarcane varieties
1. Identifying the yield gap and assessing the potential production of rice cultivars in different agro –ecological regions using crop growth simulation model- DSSAT (CERES-Rice)
2. Particulate and mineral associated organic matter influenced by humic acid and fertilizer application
3. Identification of growth regulating activity of Humic acid- A organic product (Funded by Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC))
4. Iron acquisition by sorghum cultivars – (Funded by CSIR)
Pilot project on Magnetic treatment of Irrigation water - Its effects on Soil Properties, Water productivity and Crop yield – Draft report
First Author Publication Year Dr. Surendran U 2012
Irrigation Scenario of Palakkad, Kozhikode, Malappuram, Wayanad, Kannur, Kasaragod, Thrissur and Kollam Districts. Reports of the Project on ‘Crop Water Requirement for Different Agroecological Zones of Kerala’ (8 reports). Submitted to State Planning Board, Thiruvananthapuram.
First Author Publication Year Dr. Surendran U 2011
Books and Monographs
Surendran U and Devarajan L. "Humic acid - An organic crop energizer" Tamil Nadu Agricultural University and CARD, Neyveli Lignite Corporation.
Surendran U and Mayalagu D. “Soil science of Somayanur series- A Colluvial soil in Tamil Nadu” Directorate of Publications, TNAU, Coimbatore.
First Author Publisher Publication Year Dr. Surendran U Directorate of Publications, TNAU, Coimbatore 2015
Surendran U, Pushpavalli R and Saravanan R. Soil reference manual for Pettavaithali command area- EID Parry (I) Ltd, Pettavaithalai, Trichy.
First Author Publisher Publication Year Dr. Surendran U EID Parry (I) Ltd, Pettavaithalai, Trichy. 2015
N B Narasimha Prasad, Harikumar P S, Joseph E J, Girish Gopinath, Surendran U, Resmi T R and Ambili G .K (2014) Integrated Water Resources Management, Proceedings of International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM 2014) Allied Publishes, New Delhi,Vol. II,pp 809-1370, ISBN:978-81-8424-907-1
N B Narasimha Prasad, Harikumar P S, Joseph E J, Girish Gopinath, Surendran U, Resmi T R and Ambili G .K (2014) Integrated Water Resources Management, Special Volume of Post proceedings of International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM 2014), Excel Publishers, New Delhi, p131, ISBN:978-93-83842-51-3
Narasimha Prasad N B, Harikumar P S, Joseph E J, Girish Gopinath, Surendran U, Resmi T R and Ambili G K (2014). Integrated Water Resources Management, Proceedings of International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM 2014) Allied Publishes, New Delhi, ISBN: 978-81-8424-906-4, Vol.1, P 808.
MadhavaChandran K, Sushanth C M, George Mammen, Surendran U and Joseph E J (2013). KanikaJalasechanam (in malayalam), CWRDM, 79p.
MadhavaChandran K, Sushanth C M, George Mammen, Surendran U and Joseph E J (2011). Drip Irrigation Manual. Centre for Water Resources Development and Management, Kozhikode, Kerala, December 2011. 80p.